In these regulations unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Best before” means the date which signifies the end of the period under any stated storage conditions during which the food shall remain fully marketable and shall retain any specific qualities for which tacit or express claims have been made and beyond that date, the food may still be perfectly safe to consume, though its quality may have diminished. However the food shall not be sold if at any stage the product becomes unsafe.
2. “Date of manufacture” means the date on which the food becomes the product as described;
3. “Date of packaging” means the date on which the food is placed in the immediate container in
which it will be ultimately sold;
4. “Infant” means a child not more than twelve months of age;
5. “Lot number” or “code number” or “batch number” means the number either in numericals or
alphabets or in combination thereof, representing the lot number or code number or batch number,being preceded by the words “Lot No” or “Lot” or “code number” or “Code” or Batch No” or “Batch”or any distinguishing prefix by which the food can be traced in manufacture and identified in distribution.
6. “Multipiece package” means a package containing two or more individually packaged or labelled
pieces of the same commodity of identical quantity, intended for retail either in individual pieces or
packages as a whole.
7. “Non- Vegetarian Food” means an article of food which contains whole or part of any animal including birds, fresh water or marine animals or eggs or products of any animal origin, but excluding milk or milk products, as an ingredient;
8. “Prepackaged” or “Pre-packed food”, means food, which is placed in a package of any nature, in such a manner that the contents cannot be changed without tampering it and which is ready for sale to
Note: The expression “package” wherever it occurs in these Regulations, shall be construed as
package containing pre-packed food articles.
9. “Principal Display Panel” means that part of the container/package which is intended or likely to be
displayed or presented or shown or examined by the customer under normal and customary conditions
of display, sale or purchase of the commodity contained therein.
10. “Use – by date” or “Recommended last consumption date” or “Expiry date” means the date which signifies the end of the estimated period under any stated storage conditions, after which the food probably will not have the quality and safety attributes normally expected by the consumers and the
food shall not be sold;
11. “Vegetarian Food” means any article of Food other than Non- Vegetarian Food as defined in
12. “Wholesale package” means a package containing —
(a) a number of retail packages, where such first mentioned package is intended for sale,distribution or delivery to an intermediary and is not intended forsale direct to a single consumer;
(b) a commodity of food sold to an intermediary in bulk to enable such intermediary to sell,distribute or deliver such commodity of food to the consumer in smaller quantities.